Everyday I see people that are suffering from all kind of pains and illnesses. Most of them are convinced that there is nothing they can do about it, and they define themselves by their condition (such as in "I am" of I have"). It hurts me to see them in this "captivity". I am talking about the captivity caused by illness and dependence on medical drugs due to lack of knowledge on alternative healing methods and how to help your body heal itself. I say a little prayer before telling them that there is something else they can do, that there is still "hope". Sometimes they listen...Read More
Help Your Body Heal Itself! Alternative Healing Methods
Many people are suffering today with illness and dependence on medical drugs due to lack of knowledge on alternative healing methods and how to help your body heal itself.
During my childhood and adolescence, I suffered from many health problems. Every winter I had laryngitis, pharyngitis, bronchitis and many other "itis". During summertime, liver pain, stomach pain, the occasional throwing up after a very succulent barbecue...I had the pertinent medications on my night stand, always at hand just in case.
If this wasn't enough, I also suffered from low blood pressure and the occasional dizziness, which made it hard for me to exercise (despite taking medicine everyday for this condition), from low blood sugar (I had to eat every few hours), nausea during long trips (Dramamine) and a "feeling of suffocation" that attacked me for many years and that no medicine could cure, which was qualified as "emotional illness" "epiglottis problem" "my fabrication" etc.
I must also mention that I was about 60 pounds overweight...which in turn caused me a certain level of depression, lack of energy and even shyness. I can say that my teenage years were not the happiest!
I remember the constant visits to the doctors, the medicines (including one to lose weight that almost kill me!) the dependence on other people's knowledge, and the constant low level depression.
Everything started to change for me when in the spring of '83, due to a chance encounter (if there is such a thing) I started to learn and practice the "Pa-Kua Knowledge" in its most basic form, the martial art, with Master Victor Candal as my teacher.
This opened a door for me through which I advanced with a slow but steady step. A door to knowledge that allowed me to go from having a passive, dependent and reactive attitude towards my health and well-being, to developing an active, independent and pro-active attitude, and attitude of taking responsibility for my own physical and mental health and well-being. I decided to take charge of my health and help my body heal itself. I moved from the Health care system to a Self Care System and started to learn about different Alternative Healing methods.
There is a basic knowledge that we need in order to live a better quality of life: the knowledge that is needed to take care of our body, to prevent it from getting sick, to help it heal if necessary; the knowledge needed to take responsibility for our actions and emotions and the way in which they affect our being.
Alternative healing starts with you learning to listen to your body and being aware of its signals. If you want to start the journey into alternative healing and self-care, start paying attention to:
What goes into your mind: TV, comments from friends, what we read, listen to.
What goes into your body: there are so many food choices and so many different opinions as to what is good for you. Do your own research, but keep in mind some basic principles:
- Eat fresh, raw, organic. The closest food is to its original state, the easier it will be for your body to digest it, take the nutrients and eliminate it
- Avoid refined and chemical sugars such as “artificial” sweeteners. If needed, use natural sugars such as maple syrup, honey, stevia in small quantities.
- Take supplements on a regular basis. As much as we would like to be able to get all the nutrients we need from our healthy eating, that is no longer possible in the world we live in. It took me a while to accept this, but even organic fruits and vegetables are not providing us with 100% of the nutrients needed due, among others, to toxins in the environment and poor soil quality. Click here for the supplements I use and recommend.
What comes out of your body:
- Eliminate toxins every day. Do you go to the bathroom after every time you eat (yes, like a baby). If you don’t and specially if you are not going #2 at least once a day, you are accumulating toxins in your body that will eventually turn into cellular inflammation that will turn into one of the (at least) 75 illnesses associated with cellular inflammation. (If you are not going #2 everyday, this is your first step. Click here for tips on this subject)
- Practice therapeutic exercises that allow your body to sweat and detoxify, while restoring it, such as Yoga, Pa-kua, Tai Chi, Ki-gong.
And most importantly, learn about Glutathione and how it can help your body heal itself (click here for Wikipedia info on glutathione). This knowledge alone changed my life and the lives of many others in a short period of time!
Would you join me and many others and move from health care to "self care"? I hope so!
Of the antioxidants that can prevent or retard the pain response from Fibromyalgia, GLUTATHIONE has been identified as central.
High GLUTATHIONE levels work to combat oxidative stress and lower inflammation, and by doing so contribute to stopping the cycle of pain!Read More
Glutathione and muscle fatigue and inflammation
Did you know that higher Glutathione levels reduce muscle fatigue and inflammation?
If you’re an athlete and you’re serious about performing at a high level, you need to know about Glutathione!
Glutathione plays a fundamental role as your body’s master antioxidant in improving how long you’re able to be active before tiring. The higher your levels of GSH, the longer it’ll take before you become fatigued. Research has shown that higher glutathione levels reduce muscle fatigue and inflammation.
The field of study on the impact of GSH (glutathione) on performance has grown greatly over the past several years. The Journal of Applied Physiology alone has over 200 articles that study the effects of improved GSH levels on performance. Overwhelmingly, they have found that supplementing with glutathione-enhancing products has a positive effect on recovery from exercise and exertion.
One of the earlier studies in 1998 conducted by L.C. Lands, V.L. Grey, and A.A. Smountas demonstrated that higher levels of GSH reduces the levels of oxidative stress that forms in muscles – a condition that results in strenuous muscular contractions and fatigue. Their findings showed that proper supplementation to improve GSH levels resulted in “greater power” and “increased the amount of work” subjects could perform during a given task.
A later study conducted by I. Medved et al. demonstrated that enhanced GSH availability in well-trained individuals resulted in improved gains in periods of prolonged exercise. Another study performed just a few years ago by F. Ferreira and M.B. Reid found that pre-treating with GSH enhancing supplements “improves performance of limb and respiratory muscles during fatigue protocols and extends time to task failure during volitional exercise.”
Simply put – increased glutathione levels allows you to perform at a higher level for longer periods of time and allows you to recover faster. Whether you’re working out regularly, adventuring on the weekends, or playing sports at an elite level you need to supplement your diet with products that enhance glutathione.
Need Glutathione info? check www.PubMed.gov
Want to know how to increase your glutathione levels? click on the link below:
Lands, L.C., Grey, V.L., and Smountas, A.A. (1998) Effect of supplementation with a cysteine donor on muscular performance. In The Journal of Applied Physiology, 87 (4). 1381-1385.
Medved, I., Brown, M.J., Bjorksten, A.R., Murphey, K.T., Petersen, A.C., Sostaric, S., Gong, X., and McKenna, M.J. (2004) N-acetylcysteine enhances muscle cysteine and glutathione availability and attenuates fatigue during prolonged exercise in endurance-trained individuals. In The Journal of Applied Physiology, 97 (4). 1477-1485
Ferreira, L.F., and Reid, M.B. (2008) Muscle-derived ROS and thiol regulation in muscle fatigue. In The Journal of Applied Physiology, 104 (3). 853-860.
Feeling sluggish, cranky, low in energy? Constipation may be the reason and there are some Constipation Home Remedies! (that you can try today)
If you are not having a bowel movement after every meal, or at least once a day, toxins are building up in your body. Are you feeling sluggish, unable to focus and cranky? Constipation may be the cause!
Did you know that there are many constipation home remedies than can help you get some relief?. You can try any or all of these:Read More
What is Glutathione? What are the benefits of Glutathione?
Benefits of Glutathione:
Better health, better performance, faster recovery from exercise, slower aging, increased energy, longer life, better quality of life, are a few of the benefits associated with high glutathione levels.
What is Glutathione?
1) Glutathione is the most abundant antioxidant made by the human body. It is the Master of neutralizing free radicals.
2) Glutathione is the only antioxidant that recycles itself after it has neutralized a free radical.
3) Glutathione recycles other antioxidants including vitamin C, vitamin E as well as alpha lipoic acid after they have been utilized.
4) Glutathione maintains a healthy oxidant-reductant levels of the cells (cellular redox homeostasis)
5) Glutathione reduces hemoglobin to a plus 2 state so it can accept oxygen and carry it to the cells.
6) Glutathione protects the immune system from oxidative stress, allowing newly formed immune cells to proliferate to attack germs and viruses.
7) Glutathione protects the DNA in the nucleus of the cell
8) It protects the mitochondrial DNA of the cell.
9) It reduces lipid peroxides formed by the oxidation of fats to a water soluble state, making it easier for the body to eliminate them.
10) It transports aminoacids from outside of the cell into the cell, allowing protein biosynthesis to take place.
11) It is the first line of protection against environmental and chemical toxins.
12) It is a major sequestering agent of heavy metals.
For more information on what is Glutathione and what are the benefits of Glutathione, click on the link below